The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
When I got sober, I learned the value of unconditional love and support. The men and women who supported me in my recovery helped me build a foundation for lasting sobriety.
I am so grateful for the people in my life that stepped in and loved me unconditionally until I could love myself. One of these women was Terri. I met Terri at a Celebrate Recovery meeting and was immediately drawn to her vivacious personailty. She was bubbling with joy and radiated a beauty that comes from a life surrendered to God. Terri became my sponsor in Alcoholics Anonymous.
She loved me and offered me the gift of friendship. Terri has moved away and though I do not see her face to face, the impact of her supportive friendship shapes me daily. Terri modeled to me how to both GIVE and RECEIVE support. Today, I share the many blessings of our relationship with other women that I coach and mentor.
I learned the value of living in community and surrounding myself with winners.
I am blessed to have an amazing support system and I get to be a support to some pretty fabulous people.
I am convinced that I am where I am today because I learned to GIVE and RECEIVE support.
Here are some examples of “Beliefs” that could be limiting you from experiencing Support:
- I’ll scratch your back, but don’t even think about scratching mine.
- I don’t want to bother anyone.
- I would rather help you achieve your goals and dreams, than think about myself.
- I can do it myself.
- People will fail me. It is not safe to rely on others.
- Choosing me is not honoring to God.
Here are some “Beliefs” that could benefit you in experiencing Support:
- I am worthy of living in community with people who support one another.
- Jesus modeled ministry with a tribe of people and he teaches us to do the same.
- Allowing others to support me makes me more effective and powerful.
- When I give and receive support, I experience greater intimacy in relationships.
- Doing life with a supportive team makes life fun and interesting.
- Choosing the right support helps me to grow in areas where I may not be naturally gifted.
What would you add to the lists above? Will you share how you learned to give and receive support? WE look forward to your comments!
I would love to be on your support team. You can email me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org
WE value the support of our iwokeupyesterday readers. Please Share this post on your favorite social media outlet with the buttons below the post.
- I Am One of the “Crazy” Ones (Tammy Bolt Werthem) (iwokeupyesterday.com)
- 10 Ways to Sabatoge Weight Loss (Tammy Bolt Werthem) (iwokeupyesterday.com)
- Ready to get “Wrecked”? (Tammy Bolt Werthem) (iwokeupyesterday.com)