In the last week, I have had some amazing encouragement from my sisters and brothers in Christ. God has put some amazing people in my life that not only encourage me but also challenge me in my walk. I am thankful that God shows His love to me through His people.
Romans 12:4-8 speaks about spiritual gifts in the body of Christ. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.
Sometimes people will use this verse as an excuse to say well that is not my spiritual gift so then that means I don’t have to do it. I don’t believe that is what it means. I believe it means just what is says before that we are one body and we are to in Christ be accountable and responsible to each other. What happens when the giving person is absent or the leader is not there then someone needs to step up.
Encouragement does come natural to me so I would say that is one of my higher spiritual gifts. For others it may not come as easy but that does not mean you don’t participate in encouraging others. Here a some ideas for you.
7 easy ways to encourage each other.
- Face to Face - I had a Mom at church on Sunday that took me aside after service to say thank you for my Facebook posts. She said she knows her daughter is on my friend’s list and so is encouraged that it may be a small impact on her daughter. Glory to God!
- Snail Mail - I have a friend that is now living in Costa Rica that sent me a “SendOutCards” in the mail. I had just had a very short conversation over FB with her to catch up and she sent me a beautiful card with my profile picture on the front of the card. So amazingly sweet and thoughtful!!!
- Small Gifts - After having an emotionally challenging day last Wednesday, a close friend at church gave me a beautiful notebook that she wrote in about who I am in Christ. It was sooooooo encouraging!!!
- Love Notes - This is how my husband had me fall in love with him while we were in college. He would always leave me love notes on little pieces of paper, on a bathroom mirror, or on a notebook. Still today he does it from time to time and when the girls see it they giggle. I am thankful for a thoughtful, caring and sensitive man of God that He has gifted me.
- Contribution – A beautiful sister is Christ who loves on our youth kids took some of the middle school girls after church for pizza and sharing from the Word of God. Man, she will probably never really know how her contribution encourages me as a Mom. You can never have too many amazing women loving and encouraging your kids.
- Facebook Wall Post – I love clicking into my Facebook and seeing my friends love on me through their words of encouragement. I even saw my Mom encourage my Dad today on his Facebook wall as he is traveling out-of-town. Very sweet and yet kind of gross too. Hey its my parents people. lol
- Text Message – So simple yet so effective. I have a group of women that just seem to know through of course the Holy Spirit within us when things are just not right. We can text a message of prayer and we know each other are fulfilling that request. I pray that if you don’t have these kind of people in your life you will pray and ask God for them.
So I will leave you with a few of God’s encouraging words. Apostle Paul was not only spreading the word of God but he was also encouraging the early churches in their growth.
Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. Eph 4:29
Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? 2 Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. Phil 2:1-2
May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. 2 Thes. 2:16-17
I woke up yesterday and felt encouraged. Michelle